Friday, December 10, 2010

My Attempt at Chocolate Cake Perfection - Nut Butter

Nut butter

Don't you just love Nutella? I remember eating it directly out of the jar, in those days when the Nutella jar was made of real glass, not the plastic that we get today. And in those days, cocoa butter was in the ingredients list, which has since been replaced by palm oil. Tastewise, I don't think palm oil gives any significant change in the flavour, but theres something at the back of my mind telling me that I'm not getting the real deal.

And so I started a mini quest to make my own nut butter that I can turn into Nutella, or a praline, or a smooth nut-sugar layer that I can incorporate into my chocolate cake. I tried once long ago to make almond butter but it never turned into butter, only a grain-powder like consistency, like what is sold as almond flour. I was wrong, because the internet says that almonds can be turned into a smooth butter without the addition of any oils or sugar. You just have to blend them long enough. Do pulsed blending, and take your time, because I melted my old Braun food processor when I left it to blend almonds continously for 5 minutes. Now I'm using a Tefal 1000Watt food processor.

Nut butter

After 15 minutes of slow, pulsed blending, the oil seperates from nuts. Almonds have less oil, so a pure almond butter will take a longer time before you start to see oil. Hazelnuts on the otherhand have up 50% oil content, and turn into butter more readily. The tiny darker brown specs you see below come from the almond skins, so if you remove them first, or buy almonds without skin, then you won't taste their grit on the roof of your mouth.

Nut butter

This is pure nut butter, without any oil or sugar or salt. I'm using it as a hydrophobic canvas to insulate my water sensitive feuilletine flakes - and get praline fueilletine.

Almonds raw and almonds toasted have very different flavour profiles. Same goes for other nuts. Its up to you to choose what flavour you like. After several years of nut eating, I think the best toasted almonds are made by Camel, sold in metallic red packets. The best tasting pistachios are the green fleshed california pistachios by Tai Sun, and come in blue packets.

Nut butter

This almond-hazelnut butter above was the product of 20 minutes of pulsed blending. Even so, it's not silky smooth, probably because of the almonds. The toothpaste industry discovered long ago, so long as you have particles larger than 40 microns, you feel the graininess. I felt the graininess. A food processor isn't the machine that will deliver the super smooth texture that is ubiquitously availiable with commercial peanut butter. Nonetheless, my Camel brand toasted almond butter gives such an intensely pleasurable punch that I'm glad I'm having it =)

Forward march to having the best chocolate cake in Singapore!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...